Applicants who wish to apply for a resident permit at the Embassy in Rome are requested to fill in the application form online and pay the application fee on the secure Application Portal before bringing their supporting documents to the Embassy. Your application is not valid before you have been at the Embassy with original documents and one good copy. It is also possible for the host family/reference person/sponsor in Norway to complete all or part of the online process for the applicant (e.g. log on and pay the application fee). Host family/reference persons/sponsors who complete the entire process for the applicant must send a copy of the completed application form to the applicant, so that he/she is fully aware of the information being submitted. The application form may be viewed and/or printed out from 'Previous individual applications' on the Portal.
Booking an Appointment
It is not necessary to book an appointment, the Consular opening time is from Monday to Friday between 10.30 - 12.30
Those who have registered their application online will automatically receive a cover letter as an attachment to the e-mail address used when logging in to the Application Portal. It is very important that the applicant prints this cover letter, signs it, attaches a photo to it, and brings it to the Embassy (this cover letter replaces the old paper application form, so there is no need to fill in or print out any application in paper format.).
How to apply – first-time users
The first time you use the Application Portal, you must register as a user with a username and a password. Username and password should not contain any special characters such as @, %, &, etc. The password must contain at least 8 characters, at least one number and at least one CAPITAL letter. When you have registered yourself as a user on the Portal, you can fill in the application form and pay the application fee (with a Visa or Mastercard).
A number of documents are required in order to process an application for a residence permit. Please find information about necessary documents at www.udi.no. All documents will be electronically scanned at the Embassy. It is therefore very important that all original documents must be submitted with a perfect copy in A4 format - do not staple any documents together. You will get the originals in return.
The application fee must be paid electronically (by credit/debit card) on the secure Application Portal after filling in the application form online. The application will not be sent to the Embassy before the payment has been successfully processed (usually within a few seconds).
For information about application fees
Click here to access the APPLICATION PORTAL
Instruction on how to register online
• Go to https://selfservice.udi.no.
• Click on register new user.
• Fill in the necessary boxes; username-password-first name-email-confirm email.
• In a short while an email will be sent to the address provided. Open the email,click on the site given to activate your account.
• Go to application portal, on the left hand side enter your user name and password and click on log on.
• Choose the application you want to fill out: visa, family immigration, education, etc.
• Fill in the application completely. Please note that all the boxes with a star next to them are mandatory and have to be filled out.
• When the application is filled out and you submit the online application, a confirmation is sent to your e-mail.
• Please note that you must print the cover letter that is available on the summary page and bring this cover letter to the embassy with the rest of the documents.
• After completion of the registration, you will be asked to book an appointment. A calendar will be available. Choose the month and day you want to submit your application. On the right hand side of the screen you will see a chart will all the available times for your chosen date. Click on the circle to choose the time you want.
• You will then receive a confirmation for your appointment on that same page, please print that page and bring it with you to the embassy on the day you have your appointment.
• Close all tabs and log out of the program.
When you apply you must bring all the original supporting documents and a perfect copy of each to the embassy.
The copies must be A4, with no staples, no stickers, no torn pages.
After we have seen the originals, you will get the originals in return and the copies will be kept in the file.